Good morning Warriors.
My net CARB LIMIT is a good number to know.
I set my net carb limit as... the number of carbs per meal that:
My 2 hour number is 7.5(135 USA).
I shoot for this number instead of 7.8(140 USA) because it gives me a little leeway, because different carbs spike my blood glucose number a little more than another carb.
Baby Steps.
For me that net carb limit is 4-5 per meal. So that is very stressful trying to control my carbs right at my limit. But it is something I can do occasionally.
Baby Steps.
----------------------------
For 2 years now I now live by a controlling my carbs to 2-3 net carbs per meal. That is the number I call my net CARB TOLERANCE.... the number that my 2 hour number is at or near my before eating number.
Baby Steps.
It is much less stressful on me to control what I put in my mouth to this net CARB TOLERANCE number. Because my 2 hour numbers are always in the nondiabetic range of 4.0(72 USA) to 7.8(140 USA).
Baby Steps.
The Nondiabetic Range precludes additional cumulative vascular damage. That vascular damage leads to and feeds diabetes complications and comorbidities.
Baby Steps.
So halt or curtail adding to that cumulative vascular damage. Live your best life with diabetes.
Baby Steps.
I set that lower limit for me. Because I begin to have my 1st hypo symptoms at around 4.1(74 USA). My vision begins to get fuzzy (without glasses) and I begin a mild headache.
Baby Steps.
So when I am not driving I do not wear my glasses. And when my numbers are in the nondiabetic range my vision is equivalent to the 20/70 to 20/100 range.
Baby Steps.
And since I am near sighted that is good for most things I do, including reading books.
Baby Steps.
So I can take advantage of these cues my body sends me. My body let's me know when my blood glucose is dropping dangerously close to a hypo.
Baby Steps.
This is HYPO AWARENESS.
Baby Steps.
If I don't treat immediately I am blessed with a full blown hypo with all the expected symptoms. So I always treat immediately. I hate hypos.
Baby Steps.
Good luck Warriors as you find your way to better health. And
Never give up,
Never surrender,
Never ever.
You got this.
Have a wonderful day.
Net carb vs carb is the real question here.
Thankfully many products list this. And remember the more fiber in your carbs the less net carbs
@A DiabetesTeam Member
A lot of people don't read labels. I try to put that out their for the new members I welcome to the group.
Finding your personal net carb limit takes a bit of teamwork and some trial and error. The best starting point is working with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian, since the right amount varies based on age, weight, activity level, and how well blood sugar is being managed.
Here's a simple way to test how your Show Full Answer