@A DiabetesTeam Member - I was diagnosed with this after 2 years on Ozempic. The AI answer symptoms are spot on. The test was amusing. They asked me to come completely empty of food and then fed me the driest toast and scrambled eggs ever. Then they took scans of my stomach on the hour for about 7 hours. It barely digested. They then prescribed metochlopramide and Creon to help breakdown and digest food.
AI did a fine job but didn't include ways you can mitigate gastroparesis
It's a (process) where your stomach "delays emptying at a "normal" rate"
There are some foods/supplements we can avoid that naturally slow down that process
GLP-1 meds like Ozempic, Mounjaro, Victoza, Trulicity or Rybelsis slow down gastric emptying "on purpose"
They are designed to slow digestion so you uptake the carbs from a meal over a longer period of time, giving your (compromised insulin source) time to deal with what you ate
So simply doing their job can lead to gastroparesis
If you use one of those meds you should NOT be taking or eating something that slows it down any further
But that leaves the patient in a conundrum
Fiber is really good but it's impossible to digest but our system "tries" which slows digestion further
Apple Cider Vinegar specifically, but even white vinegar "slows down gastric emptying" - that's a good thing unless your system is already too slow - if it is, stay away from the vinegars
Other substances that slow gastric emptying include:
Fats (saturated, unsaturated, dietary cholesterol etc)
Soluable Fiber like Inulin (close but not Insulin) which is ground chickory root - used as a fiber supplement in many processed foods to "add fiber". It is also the main ingredient in Benefiber
Psyllium Husk - aka Metamucil and in it's normal form it's used as a bulking agent in place of bread crumbs in lower carb products
Guar Gum - a polysaccaharide - a common additive to prepared products - other "polyols" include ALL of the Sugar Alcohols (which are neither sugar nor alcohol but rather "sweet" fibers) - so if you want/need a sweetener and you have delayed gastric emptying you are better sticking to the artificial sweeteners like saccaharine, sucralose, aspartame (the little pink/yellow sugar pack or sweeteners found in diet/zero sugar soft drinks do NOT delay gastric emptying but may have other health concerns - sometimes you have to choose to do without or pick the Least, Bad option
Glucomannan - aka Konjac root which is used as a low carb pasta replacement - sugar safe but a digestive nightmare - it's almost pure fiber - not good if your tummy is "slow"
Caffeine and Alcohol can both slow down gastric emptying to different degrees in some people (having a metabolic disorder does suck) - if it bothers your tummy you need to give it up or severely restrict it
All of this should be covered by your Doc or in the medication insert (that paper we all throw out that tells us about the drug) if you are on a GLP-1 Med or are being treated for Gastroparesis
Unfortunately the best treatment for the condition is a Higher carb, Very Low Fat and almost non-existant intake of Fiber which is exactly the WRONG diet for a Type 2
Diabetes Sucks....
@A DiabetesTeam Member thanks for the response it will help those with gastroparesis. I know diabetes suck and having gastroparesis doesn't help. I use meds and insulin to control my diabetes while eating for gastroparesis. I am limited to a maximum fiber intake of 15gm a day.
I'm very disappointed in my gastro doctor. While they had me sedated for my colonoscopy, they were supposed to do an endoscopy. They didn't do that procedure. The only have me to come into the office once yearly because they aren't located in my area. I do know I have a hiatial hernia from tests the hospital did.
I was supposed to have the gastric emptying study. But because I can't go long with food they delayed it. I have a lot of stomach pains after I eat and constantly belching. I was checked for gluten intolerance & lactose intolerance. I still have stomach pains using lactade supplements, to help me break down lactose. It helped a little, not a lot