Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of DiabetesTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rocky Face, GA

I check my blood sugars before bed, and if I am a little low I eat a protein snack. Recommended by my doctor.

September 22
 · 
Reactions
A DiabetesTeam Member

I regularly see night time lows, although they do come in clusters over a few days and then disappear for a month or two

They typically occur between 2 and 4 AM (If I got to sleep near midnight) and since I am not taking any anti-diabetic meds (or any other meds for that matter which is artificially lowering my blood sugar) I DON'T try to prevent or treat them

In extreme low cases I do wake up "drenched" as in, it really looks like I had a bucket of water poured over me - sheets/bed "soaked" and inevitably checking the CGM log would show that I was down in the high 2's (low 50's) before the "red alert" system in our bodies kicked in and brought my blood sugar back into a safe range

It's called the Symogyi Effect - unless we are taking a "drug or supplement" of some kind that is artficially lowering our blood sugar, then our own bodies will NOT let us get "deadly low" - the Liver will be tapped to release enough sugar to get things back in the safe zone

Insulin or Sulfonylurea class drugs are too powerful for the "failsafe" to work and GLP-1 drugs like Ozempic or Mounjaro could also prevent a "natural recovery" without intervention so if you are on anti-diabetes meds and experience night lows it's a good plan to keep glucose tablets on the night table AND you absolutely should be wearing a CGM with the low sugar threshold set and alarmed

Otherwise, the low will self correct without any intervention at all

This was one of my "pesky lows" - I went low and "while still sleeping" my liver kicked out a bit of sugar and brought me back and then I started going low again (and the process repeated - just wasn't captured on the screen shot) and that, for me, can happen multiple times a night

And without the CGM I wouldn't even be aware that this is happening

But if you are medicated AND this happens do talk to your Doc - you should be wearing a CGM and they may have adjust your meds so that your blood sugar runs a little higher

Not something you want to do (run higher blood sugar) because it does cause Long Term Complications that can kill you. But LOW Sugar will kill you tonight in your sleep if it goes too low, so that must be protected against

September 22
A DiabetesTeam Member

@A DiabetesTeam Member
That was dangerously low. I'm glad you got an alarm. Knowing the timing of them is good. Still in my thoughts and prayers.

September 22
A DiabetesTeam Member

I always have lows every night at the same time. Wearing a CGM for a while confirmed that. Since the time is predictable and I am not wearing a CGM now to alarm me I am setting an alarm tonight to wake me up before it happens. I was 2.9 at one point verified by my glucometer.

September 22
A DiabetesTeam Member

@A DiabetesTeam Member
Since they started my new meds. I stay extremely hungry. I chew sugar free gum, it helps some. I had to start Trulicity again yesterday. My numbers are running higher than I liked. I'm afraid my remission is over. I weighed yesterday and I gained 10lbs. I am currently 140lbs. When I'm on the Trulicity is when I have the nocturnal lows

September 22
A DiabetesTeam Member

I have night sweats, and nightmares. I do have nerve damage and that can cause sweating. Some of my medicines does as well. That's why we should always be aware of what's going on with our bodies. Be proactive

September 22

Related Questions

View All
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Rocky Face, GA

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Campobello, SC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In