As a Home Health Aide I had patients with neuropathy who couldn't stand. Is that what I have to look forward to? I do toe raises and squats everyday. Are these exercises futile? Are they just delaying the inevitable?
Answer Summary
Members warmly encouraged someone with worsening neuropathy to use a cane without shame, with many sharing that assistive devices have helped... Read more
Your concerns about mobility changes are understandable. A cane can absolutely help provide stability and support while walking, especially since neuropathy can affect balance and sensation in your feet. The progression of neuropathy varies for each person - what you've observed in others isn't necessarily your path.
The Show Full Answer
Cathy, I live in Cebu City. Like the US there are different areas but where I live the infrastructure is pretty bad. Broken streets and roadways but I really don't care. It comes off as being very quaint. The people require nothing more than a smile. You might have a problem with the weather, though. Most of the time it's 90 and feels like 102. At night it's pretty cool, though. Not for everyone though I love it. 🌷
Love it, Cathy.
@A DiabetesTeam Member hello I have seen pictures of people using 2 hiking poles for strength and mobility for walking long distances.
Personally I use a lightweight 4 wheeler walker (Rollator) with my balance issues and I don’t go far without it even around the yard some days when it’s windy or I feel like I need the support
Hugs from Judyxx
Yes a cane would help you & take the pressure off one of your legs.