Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of DiabetesTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dundee, UK

My toujeo is working well to keep my levels steady but I've added 10kg weight in less than a year. Diet hasn't changed ( good and controlled). Diabetes doctor has now prescribed Ozempic. What should I expect. I'm a 67 year old LADA diabetic.

December 17, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A DiabetesTeam Member

I've been concerned with absorption of medications.

Not many EMTs would know to do that.

December 18, 2025
A DiabetesTeam Member

For me the delayed emptying of my stomach caused me to always feel full. So I could eat very little after about a week. I was taking the starter dosage.

I ended up dropping 7 pounds in 6 days. Then things stabilized.

When I had a hypo. I couldn't relay on anything orally reaching my bloodstream. So I placed it under my tongue. For sublingual absorption.

It went directly into my bloodstream. It worked quickly and was great. Not many people would know to do this. I'm not your average bear. Praise God.

There are several known temporary side effects that most can work through.

My rapid weight loss was concerning. I could not eat anything. My stomach was not releasing enough. My bowels were still regular.

Good luck. Most every one does great on Ozempic. Baby steps.

I was reluctant to share because my reaction is an anomaly.

Good luck.

December 18, 2025 (edited)
A DiabetesTeam Member

Hi @A DiabetesTeam Member.
You've gained weight because you are eating more carbs than you need for daily energy - while using insulin.

Insulin has 2 jobs.
1- convert the carbs we eat to the energy we need for daily tasks.

If we are inactive, we need less energy.

2- store excess carbs as fat for future use.

Carbs are simple --- sugars.
Carbs are complex - carbs.
Carbs are - fiber.

Add up sugars and carbs--- subtract fiber for net carbs.

Have a wonderful day.

December 17, 2025 (edited)
A DiabetesTeam Member

My diet is controlled and sugars are, usually, well within the limits. It's only since I started toujeo that the weight pilled on. Not eating more ( in fact the opposite) and feeling OK apart from the weight. I may be totally fooling myself. Doctor immediately said its the Toujeo. I also now have a inguinal hernia that he says will fade one i lose weight.
I always felt I was in control (with help from wife) but now have this irritating monster on my shoulder. Ni alternative though.
Thanks for your advice and concern

December 18, 2025
A DiabetesTeam Member

It's good to know how to improvise, isn't it Henry? If you are bloated that bad, it will affect absorption of nutrients and meds

December 18, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Binghamton, NY

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Binghamton, NY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In