Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of DiabetesTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Surprise, AZ
March 31, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members opened up about struggling with constant hunger, with many identifying that carb-heavy foods like pasta trigger prolonged hunger... Read more

Members opened up about struggling with constant hunger, with many identifying that carb-heavy foods like pasta trigger prolonged hunger cycles while protein and healthy fats keep them satisfied much longer. Several members shared practical strategies that have worked for them, including walking regularly, adding more protein and fat to meals, drinking water before eating to distinguish true hunger from appetite, using low-carb substitutes like cauliflower rice and zucchini noodles, and recognizing that sugar and carb cravings often masquerade as hunger. A recurring theme was understanding that diabetes can create persistent hunger signals because glucose isn't reaching cells properly, and that adjusting to smaller portions and lower-carb eating takes time but becomes easier with patience, distraction techniques, and self-compassion.

A DiabetesTeam Member

In the beginning when first diagnosed I was hungry all the time now it’s just boredom and wanting to munch. It took a while for me to adjust to eating low carb and actually adding higher fat foods. My weight watcher training was cemented in my head to eat low or no fat. If I eat keto I do stay fuller longer. I have days where I’m hungry all day but if I look at what I ate I see that there wasn’t enough protein and fat. What you eat does make a difference.

March 31, 2024
A DiabetesTeam Member

@A DiabetesTeam Member I *think* I read that always feeling hungry is common for diabetics. One reason may be because the cells of diabetics aren't getting the nourishment they need; since diabetes prevents the glucose from getting into the cells where it is needed as food for the body. And the cells send out "hunger signals" since they need food that can't reach them (because it is floating around and building up in the blood stream instead.)
As a pre-diabetic, my "hunger" problem is more about eating when I feel anxious, worried, depressed, discouraged, etc....; over a lifetime it had become my "go to" to feel better-which put me well on the path to becoming diabetic. And I am beginning to learn that the "food cure" is temporary, at best, with dire consequences.

March 31, 2024 (edited)
A DiabetesTeam Member

Sugars create sugar cravings.
Carbs create carb cravings.
Thirst creates cravings.

All are mistaken as hunger.

But the good news is you can combat those by adding protein and fat to your meals. Protein staves off hunger for hours. Even as little as 2-3 ounces.

Good luck warriors.

March 31, 2024
A DiabetesTeam Member

If you are hungry you are digesting what you eat too quickly

Fats are the slowest to digest followed by protein - carbs get "sucked up" quickly

So add more Fats (the healthy unsaturated type or fats from dairy) to what you are eating, then more protein in that order

A handful of peanuts (unsaturated fats and protein) will take longer to digest and make you feel fuller longer than a whole plate load of pasta (as an example)

March 31, 2024
A DiabetesTeam Member

My suggestion is to get out and walk around the area with I cut out ice cream and cakes 🍰 please cut down on fattening chips and dips and eat a good lunch meal and only snack on vegetables 🥕 between meals.

Also I have been making my chicken drumsticks stew (I take the skin off the chicken) with loads of chutney vegetables and I leave the skin on the potatoes, carrots, sweet potato 🍠 and Pumpkinsl. I also cut up my, onion 🧅 and sweet red peppers (Capsicum) after washing the veggies 🥕 🥦 and I add celery, (and I nibble on some Celery) add Some crushed garlic to the chicken drumsticks when I brown them with the onion , Merv. I also add salt and Italian Dried Herbs.

To get fitter I have walked an average of 2.8 kilometres a day for 26 weeks. I lost 16 kg in 2years my Diabetes type2 is in remission and I don’t need to take any medication

Hugs from Judyxx

March 31, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Willow Springs, IL

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Massachusetts

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cincinnati, OH

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In