Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of DiabetesTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Doncaster, UK

My legs seem to bother me at night not so much pain but really bad aching. Also the heels at bottom of my feet hurt every time I walk

September 25, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with nighttime leg aching and heel pain, with many recognizing these as potential symptoms of diabetic... Read more

Members shared their experiences with nighttime leg aching and heel pain, with many recognizing these as potential symptoms of diabetic neuropathy, poor circulation, or side effects from statin medications. Several members offered practical strategies that have helped them, including taking gabapentin or pregabalin for nerve pain, using magnesium and CoQ10 supplements, soaking in warm Epsom salt baths, applying capsaicin cream sparingly, investing in quality shoes with custom orthotics, and seeing a podiatrist regularly for foot care. A recurring theme was the importance of consulting a doctor to rule out serious complications like neuropathy or circulation problems, checking feet daily for cuts or wounds, and finding the right combination of treatments since what works varies greatly from person to person.

A DiabetesTeam Member

Here are the symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy, Mayo clinic is a good source for information on Diabetes. Write down any questions you may have and ask your Dr. at your next appointment. Best wishes, Veronica

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/d...

September 26, 2016
A DiabetesTeam Member

Be Careful of the footwear you buy as i got boots for work from an online store they rubbed into a blister thast got infected and asc a result i've lost half of my left big toe But many thanks to the skill ofthe surgeon , Mr Hodgkinson of the University of Wales Hospital in Cardiff and the great team on ward B6, i came out alright so let this be a warning to us all .

October 31, 2016
A DiabetesTeam Member

I agree with Ruth Wickham, Statins don't help with leg pains, and they do like to give them out, especially to diabetics! I have resisted them so far as I have an underactive thyroid, and Statins are NOT recommended for UAT sufferers because of the muscle damage they can do.

October 1, 2016
A DiabetesTeam Member

I find I have less trouble with restless achy legs if I have a warm epsom salt bath. (1 cup epsom salt in a warm tub of water for 20 minutes or so). The magnesium is absorbed through your skin and relaxes the muscles. The warmth also helps. Sometimes I use a hot water bottle under my knees. The bath also improves your sleep quality.

September 28, 2016
A DiabetesTeam Member

Another cause for leg pains is as a side effect of taking Statins (cholesterol meds) - doctors love to put everyone on statins and especially diabetics. I stopped taking them and eat an apple a day instead with better results and no leg pains.

September 28, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bethlehem, PA

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
South Africa limpopo Thabazimbi