Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of DiabetesTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
San Diego, CA
5 days ago
 · 
Reactions
A DiabetesTeam Member

I took my Mom to dialysis 3 days a week for 3 years.

I lived an hour away from her. I had to volunteer for the graveyard shift, so I could be available.

I slept 90 minutes in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening on the days she had dialysis. I went home after the next shift.

Most days I would sleep 2 hours in the mall parking lot about half way home.

Then repeat for the 3 dialysis days a week.

My Mom would code 2-3 times during each dialysis if they didn't catch it quick enough. There was a waiting area. But I stayed by her side so I could catch it before she coded.

My Dad said he could not take the stress. So it was on me. All 5 of my brothers lived minutes away. They would do it 1x and then never again. Except when I went on vacation for a week.

I pray for anyone needing dialysis. It's no fun.

Good luck.

5 days ago (edited)
DiabetesTeam

Living with dialysis while managing diabetes can feel overwhelming, but there are ways to make it more manageable. Since diabetes can affect kidney function over time, dialysis becomes a tool to help filter waste from the blood when the kidneys can't do it well enough on their own.

Here are some key tips for living with Show Full Answer

Living with dialysis while managing diabetes can feel overwhelming, but there are ways to make it more manageable. Since diabetes can affect kidney function over time, dialysis becomes a tool to help filter waste from the blood when the kidneys can't do it well enough on their own.

Here are some key tips for living with dialysis:

- Diet adjustments β€” Work with a registered dietitian to balance blood sugar control while also protecting kidney health. This may mean adjusting protein, salt, potassium, and phosphate intake
- Track medications β€” A pill organizer or medication tracking app can help stay on top of a complex medication routine
- Keep appointments β€” Regular monitoring of kidney function through blood and urine tests is important
- Manage weight β€” Maintaining a healthy weight can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce stress on the kidneys
- Quit smoking if applicable β€” Smoking reduces blood flow to the kidneys and makes diabetes harder to manage

Dialysis sessions (whether at a center or at home) can take several hours, so planning ahead for scheduling and travel is also worth considering.

Always speak with a doctor or healthcare team before making any changes to a treatment plan. They can offer personalized guidance to make daily life as smooth as possible.

5 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Rocky Face, GA

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Carson City, NV

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In