Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of DiabetesTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Port Saint Lucie, FL

My glucose reading upon waking has been high for the past month! I take my 1000 mg. Of metformin after dinner the night before! Dr. Put me on additional 500 mg. Of metformin that I take with breakfast! What’s going on with this?

October 22, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A DiabetesTeam Member

Good evening from South Jersey @A DiabetesTeam Member. I've seen many questions regarding high numbers. Yes, cut your carbs. Processed carbs convert immediately to glucose, so eating carbs is like eating sugar to diabetics.

I eat to my blood glucose meter, my blood glucose numbers spreadsheet, and my food journal. I gathered 2500 data points in the first year, so I know how each food I eat affects my blood glucose numbers. I know what foods I can eat somewhat freely, what foods I must limit, and what foods I must almost totally avoid.

We just came back from a 3 week Canada trip, and my numbers were rock steady, even though we ate out almost every meal. I eat to my meter.

Most diabetics should be limited to 100-130 carbs spread equitable throughout 3-5 meals and 1-2 snacks daily. Some are limited to 80, some 50, some 30, and then there is me. I can only tolerate 15-20 carbs daily. I balance that at 5-8 carbs per meal.

Most breads are about 15 carbs a slice. Whole grain and multi grains digest slower, so have a lower glucose spike after eating, and have more nutrients too.

Pasta is 42 carbs per cup.
Rice is 42 carbs per cup.
A small baked potato is 30-37 carbs, depending on what you call small.

A serving of carbs is 15 grams / 15 carbs. So what most people eat as servings of carbs is way out of proportion to what they should be eating.

This means a serving of:
Bread = 1 slice
Pasta = 1/3 cup
Rice = 1/3 cup
Potato = 1/2 small or 1/3 cup

Keto breads run about 4 net carbs a slice. The bread known as 6-4-7 has 6 net carbs per slice.

Meats, fish, fats have no carbs, but are easily converted to glucose if needed. 2 eggs is 1 carb. 2 sandwich slices of hard cheeses like sharp cheddar is 1 carb. 1 slice soft cheeses is 1 carb. 1/2 avocado is 2 carbs.

Non starchy vegetables, like greens, radish, ginger, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, napa cabbage, bok choi, asparagus, cabbage, green beans, onions, garlic, leeks, chives, shallots, edamame, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, beets, egg plant, tomatoes, etc run 1-3 carbs per serving.

Diabetes friendly whole fruits like:
4 raspberries = 1 carb
2 blackberries = 1 carb
6 blueberries = 1 carb

Most of my meals look like stir fry, soups, salads, or some combination of the above.

I wish for you more good days than bad and have many exceptional days too. Be the warrior you never knew you were. Fight the good fight. Do what you need to do.

Baby steps. I can do baby steps and you can too. Good luck.

Never give up, never surrender, never ever.
You got this.
Have a wonderful day.

October 23, 2022
A DiabetesTeam Member

It might be time to cut carbs

October 22, 2022
A DiabetesTeam Member

Thank you for your precious info Hkc much appreciated 👍🙏💜

July 27, 2023
A DiabetesTeam Member

Thanks

October 22, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Roodepoort, ZA

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cut Off, LA

A DiabetesTeam Member asked a question 💭
Pretoria, ZA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In